Roadrunner Sports - Automatic VIP Club renewal without permission

Apr 09, 2011
review #231497

Roadrunner sports automatically renews your VIP membership for $24.99 the following year.I purchased shoes last year and joined to save the shipping.

I was surprised to see the renewal charge on my credit card bill this month. The info on the site currently says "The $1.99 price is a first year introductory special. Annually the Club renews at $24.99." It does not state that the renewal is AUTOMATIC.

I read through the link where it said I could 'read to my hearts content' about the program and can't find anything about automatic renewal.Check your credit card bills and bank accounts.

9c688ee
Had an experience with Roadrunner?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Brian

Sep 23

I had called Roadrunner VIP Club and requested that we not be set for auto-renewal as the one year anniversary date was coming up in about three weeks from then. The customer service person assured me it was taken care of. Sure enough the full auto renewal charge showed up on my credit card statement. I have now called them again to get the charge reversed. I am pissed off it took the extra effort to have them correct for this and I let them that I read about this exact situation on-line and hoped it wasn't going to happen to me. I suggested they work on their customer service so other customers don't have to go through this too.

anonymous

Sep 23

I'm so glad I surfed this topic to see that I am not the only one who has noticed this. I don't recall receiving any disclosure about auto-renewals. If I had, I definitely would NOT have agreed to be a member of the Roadrunner VIP Club. The woman a the call center showed no surprise at me wanting to cancel.... Crazy.

Kangaroo

Aug 07 Arcadia, California

I just found the same automatic charge on my credit card statement as well and filed a dispute over it. This is very deceptive; I will no longer be purchasing running shoes from Roadrunner.

Jul 22 Falls Church, Virginia

Same thing happened to me. When I called to complain that my card had been charged w/o authorization, I got no argument at all -- just "I have reversed the charge, have a nice day." They are running a scam, making unauthorized charges, and the customer service people you will get on the phone know it. The customers who notice the unauthorized charge and call and complain get the charges reversed immediately with no questions asked, but huge money is being made on the people who don't notice.

Aug 09

What number do we call to dispute the charge? I bought running shoes and used my brother's active VIP membership, but have now found the renewal charge on my card. I am not happy!

Phil

Jul 21

Same thing happened to me. The card they had for me expired over a year ago, no idea how they charged to it? But I called and she canceled the auto-renewal feature and refunded my $25. Easy experience and no complaints with the customer service rep, but a pretty shady business practice nonetheless.

TireOfAllTheSniveling

Jun 02

It happens. I just called to confirm the renewal cancel and process a refund. The whole episode took six minutes and that included a three minute wait time on hold.

NeverRoadRunnerAgain

Mar 24

I called, Nolton argued with me for a bit because I had signed up online and he said that it said there that the renewal was automatic. I told him that I had signed up online according to the information provided by a person in the store who had not mentioned automatic renewal. He asked if he could help me with anything else, I said no, just the cancellation and refund. I asked for his name again since the connection wasn't super clear the first time. He told me and then hung up on me. Not super professional, but as long as he does what I requested (which it seemed like they get all the time) it's fine with me!

0 2 Reply
Scammed2

Mar 21

Just happened to us too! I discovered it this month only to find out it happened last year too! When I called them, they didn't even argue about reversing the charges (as I told them if they didn't I would fight through our credit card company to have charges reversed)! Unbelievable! Super shady and just wrong. They just lost our business forever. Such an unfortunate scam!

1 1 Reply
TGC

Mar 05 Plainfield, Illinois

I have to admit, this is the third year that I have paid the automatic Road Runner VIP club without my permission OR knowledge. How do you get a refund?!

3 1 Reply
Jer

Feb 21 San Diego, California

will be calling them in the morning...I definitely did not sign up for VIP they already charged me enough for the shoes FFS
Hey let's charge people a year later, make a little extra cash and have our employees deal with the angry customers that notice the charge and call a year later.

0 1 Reply
Jer

Feb 21

***actually my credit card already refunded it within 30 minutes of filing a quick claim online...they must recognize roadrunner 24.99 returns? lol

Winsy

Feb 10

FYI, I ordered some shoes from them last year. Cancelled my VIP Subscription the day after ordering, and even got a confirmation email saying so.
Yet I still got a charge on my card a year later, this past November. called them up and they cancelled it.....but yes, this is clearly a shady practice. Too many other options to buy sneakers online to shop here again.

0 1 Reply
TiredOfAllTheSniveling

Jun 02

1800-743-3206

Bones13

Jan 10 San Diego, California

Thank you all for all these comments. Here is my advice from my phone call today. The CSR won't go back further than a year at first. I had to tell her that I know they will refund me for at least 3 years. She put me on hold and then said she could do that. Good luck!

Val

Jan 08

Just happened to me. I called and they were friendly but completely aware of what they are doing. I bet that they are taking their chances and many customers do not check so they make a lot of money with the auto renewal. Shady!!!

Nov 26, 2013

Me too. They obviously know because when you call 1-800-901-9207, the first thing the message says mentions the renewal fee.

Nov 19, 2013

Just happened to me. Very annoying!

Anon

Oct 25, 2013

I'm overseas and found a charge from theses people on my credit card! Plus the extra charge for currency conversion. Not happy as I have only used them once a year ago. Not sure how to contact them from Australia to cancel and get a refund??

1-20 of 74 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Roadrunner.
Filing a new complaint about
×