Roadrunner Sports - Automatic VIP Club renewal without permission

Roadrunner sports automatically renews your VIP membership for $24.99 the following year.I purchased shoes last year and joined to save the shipping.

I was surprised to see the renewal charge on my credit card bill this month. The info on the site currently says "The $1.99 price is a first year introductory special. Annually the Club renews at $24.99." It does not state that the renewal is AUTOMATIC.

I read through the link where it said I could 'read to my hearts content' about the program and can't find anything about automatic renewal.Check your credit card bills and bank accounts.

More Review Details

Helpful? 164 Yes 164 28 No 28
Had the same issue 171 Yes 171
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jan 23 #1099792

Just caught this on my account. $26.99 - not authorized...called and got it reversed, but geez. I bought one pair of shoes from them a year ago. This is nasty.

2 0 Reply

Jan 12 #1093026

As much as I love the shoes and custom soles I bought at Road Runner a couple of years ago. We have moved out of the area and I will no longer be purchasing from Road Runner. Please refund the VIP renewal charge and cancel my renewal membership.
I was not told a charge was being posted to my credit card.
Please refund me for $26.99
My name is Terri Green
I was formerly living at:
401 Rockefeller Irvine, CA 92612 My phone is 949 433-3681

Jan 05 #1089166

I am also on hold now waiting to cancel my membership! I've cancelled my credit card so they can't charge on it again! Still on hold. The chirpy voice said it would be 3 minutes.

Jan 04 #1088430

RoadRunner is a bad actor. They pay their team to lie by omission about the true nature of the "VIP" program. Penny wise and dollar foolish because I will not return to RoadRunner again. I guess it doesn't matter to them--- they are too busy counting the many $26.99 they've stolen. Buyer beware!!!! To cancel call 800 901-9207.

3 0 Reply

Dec 28, 2015 #1084912

I just noticed it on my Amex account I on hold to get the charge canceled. They're still doing it and this in December 2015!!

Oct 07, 2015 #1044299

This was Helpful. Same situation with the charge showing up, but instead for me I had a very quick and brief phonecall that reversed the charge. The person on the phone gave me a refund option within the first minute of the conversation.

Oct 01, 2015 #1042019

Same experience - am currently on hold but the chirpy voice tells me I'm next in line and someone will be with me "lickety split" and thanked me for being "super patient". Just wait until they answer!

Oct 01, 2015 #1042026

After 18 minutes on hold I went on the offense and said "I've been super patient and 18 mins on hold is not lickety split. I think you know the drill so please refund the automatic renewal." He said sure thing and that was it and thanked me for making it easy on him. I do feel badly for the people dealing with this awful company.

Sep 25, 2015 #1038937

This is a very shady company. Do not do business with them. Last year I spoke with a sales rep. regarding some shoes. He was so arrogant and ***, that I bought the same shoes from Amazon. Now, I find a charge for $24.95 for a VIP membership that was given to me the year before. This was not authorized. I called Roadrunner and spoke with a very rude operator, but managed to get a refund. Contacted the Texas State Attorney's office and reported this business practice. They informed me there have been thousands of complaints against Roadrunner and that they are planning action. Additionally, Roadrunner is NOT an accredited BBB company due to numerous unresolved complaints!! This company should be put out of business permanently.

Sep 23, 2015 #1038000

They just pulled the same scam on me. Very time consuming voice mail menu to finally get through to someone who was extremely rude. Did manage to cancel it , but must follow up and have credit card information removed from their files. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!!

anon

Sep 08, 2015 #1031307

Happened to me to called the number and had a refund issued and removed from auto wothout any problems. Terrible business practice by RoadRunner.

Aug 29, 2015 #1026618

Dear all,
File a complaint with the BBB and FTC. Only in mass will we get this to end.

Aug 17, 2015 #1020476

This just happened to me too. What a joke! I had to search how to cancel and found a cancellation request link hidden in the details of how to purchase the VIP membership. Shady!

Jul 11, 2015 #1006354

Ditto, same here, annual renewal charge--never signed up, bought some shoes there once.

May 03, 2015 #979397

I was just notified by my bank that my credit card had just been charged by Roadrunner. I advised my bank that I have had no affiliation with this company and the charge is unknown to me. I have never even heard of this company until my bank called me questioning the fee charged to my credit card. I advised this was a fraudulent charge and the bank is having it removed. I went right onto the internet researching this company and have found my instance of a fraudulent charge to be a common practice of Roadrunner. My advice...make sure you are checking your bank account on a regular basis reviewing all of the detailed activity. In this present day, I am thankful my bank proactively monitors for fraudulent activity and sends instant notification when suspicious activity is identified.

Apr 30, 2015 #978568

I just had the same charge on my account and had no idea this would auto renew. I have been on the line 14 minutes waiting to talk to someone and cx my membership. I am being told they will be with me “lickety-split”. Too late for that. Just talked to someone who will cx and refund after 15 minutes!

Apr 15, 2015 #972129 Laurel, Maryland

I just had the same charge on my account. I called road runner sports directly at 800-901-9207 and they re issued a credit on my credit card immediately. Took a whole 3 mins. Thought I was in for a real fight, but the customer service rep was very "Courteous and Professional".

rippedoff

Apr 11, 2015 #970825 Corpus Christi, Texas

On my Discover credit card statement January 2015; I had a charge of $24.99 from RRS* ROADRUNNER VIP CLUB. I had no idea what this was for. I checked prior statements and found another $24.99 on my January 2014 statement. Thinking it was too late to dispute the 2014 charge I figured they got me for the 25 bucks. But I did want the 2015 charge amended. I filed a claim with Discover Card and just got the paperwork back; saying they "denied" my claim, and put the charge back on my statement! Really? Being a bit upset Discover Card received a telephone call. I informed them that I wanted the full $50 back now; and if my claim is denied again I'll be talking to the Texas Atty. Gen. about fraud charges. These credit card companies better watch themselves. When they do business with fraudulent companies and even back them up that is a conspiracy to defraud. Is this Roadrunner company big enough to interest a Texas lawyer in a class-action lawsuit? I don't know. But I do know Discover Card is big enough!

Apr 06, 2015 #968520 Longmont, Colorado

I'm mad that I've been charged without my permission!

lsjdf

Mar 18, 2015 #960465 San Diego, California

Ditto here! They are still doing it in 2015...

1-20 of 101 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.