Roadrunner Sports - Automatic VIP Club renewal without permission

Roadrunner sports automatically renews your VIP membership for $24.99 the following year.I purchased shoes last year and joined to save the shipping.

I was surprised to see the renewal charge on my credit card bill this month. The info on the site currently says "The $1.99 price is a first year introductory special. Annually the Club renews at $24.99." It does not state that the renewal is AUTOMATIC.

I read through the link where it said I could 'read to my hearts content' about the program and can't find anything about automatic renewal.Check your credit card bills and bank accounts.

More Review Details

Helpful? 168 Yes 168 28 No 28
Had the same issue 177 Yes 177
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
everyman

22 hours ago #1220910 Thousand Oaks, California

No wonder they rang the bell, when I gave them my card info.
I will try to retrieve my card info, Luckily, they tried to charge my Costco/Amex. Closed account!

Sep 13 #1212270

This happened to me today ... So pissed. I enrolled last year to save 30% but never ever would think or sign up for something that auto enrolls.. Thank GOD i watch my charges like a hawk. Hate Companies like this.

Sep 08 #1209744

I have been charged without permission. I will cancel it inmediatly.

Bruce Biermann

Sep 05 #1208252 Federal Way, Washington

I canceled my RRS VIP membership, but they still charge my credit card every year. Two days ago I was charged $44.99. Scammers! I will be contacting the state attorney general tomorrow.

Aug 24 #1203230

$27.99 charge showed up and I called the 800 #...absolutely no issues reversing the charge. The VIP is for 10% off and free shipping. I guess that makes sense if you are buying more than 2 pairs a year...first year is $1.99 but you just don't realize they are going to capture your card and auto bill it in year 2. Clever.

Aug 08 #1196179 Mission Viejo, California

I have had the same experience. Last year I was billed $24.95 and for a membership I had cancelled. I 'straightened out' the problem with Roadrunner. This year they tried to bill me again. Fortunately I had cancelled the card I had originally used with them.
My advice is to say out of their store!!!

Aug 07 #1195908 Atlanta, Georgia

The same thing has happened to me. I just noticed a charge on my credit card for $27.99 from RRS ROADRUNNER VIP CLUB that I did not authorize. We made a small purchase at Roadrunner Sports last year and did not sign up for any store club (I never do)! THIS IS A SCAM AND I WILL BE CALLING THE STORE TO TELL THEM THEY ARE SCAMMERS!! Credit card charge will be reversed!

Aug 03 #1194053

8/2/2016 just had them do same thing to me-what a scam- they don't explain it auto-renews next year-- I NEVER would have signed up for this--used one time only--exactly 1year ago--bad business-WONT buy from them again--EVER

Aug 01 #1193035 San Marcos, California

Yep, everything I've been reading just happened to me as well. Auto-renewal and I can't find any place on their where I can cancel. I'm disputing with my CC company.

Scammed again

Mar 14 #1127143

Yep that is correct and these people need to be taken down. BBB and Amex are all accomplice. This is going on to be put in as unfair business practises and as fraud on every financial and social media site I can find.

Mar 09 #1124463

I purchased a pair of shoes last year at Road Runner Sports in Elkridge MD, but when the clerk asked me if I wanted to join your VIP club, I said no because it would've been my last purchase there, since I'm a foreign. A couple days ago, exactly a year after my purchase, I received a notification from my bank about the renew of the VIP membership, even if I clearly denied to join this VIP club. I absolutely want you (Road Runner Sports) to cancel me immediately from your VIP club and I expect you to refound me for 24.86 euros
My name is Elena Puddu, please contact me at my email address chiccopu@tiscali.it
A consumer

Feb 25 #1117955

Well try this.
I used my cc at RRS and my wife used her phone number for the VIP discount.
She did not know they had an auto-renewal.
RRS used my cc to renew her account because it was the last card used.
They suck

Nan

Feb 09 #1109333

Same experience: three years in a row now.
I call, they refund it, $29.99 in my case, then the charge appears again later.
I intend to take legal action.
Ripped off in Oregon !

Jan 23 #1099792

Just caught this on my account. $26.99 - not authorized...called and got it reversed, but geez. I bought one pair of shoes from them a year ago. This is nasty.

2 0 Reply

Jan 12 #1093026

As much as I love the shoes and custom soles I bought at Road Runner a couple of years ago. We have moved out of the area and I will no longer be purchasing from Road Runner. Please refund the VIP renewal charge and cancel my renewal membership.
I was not told a charge was being posted to my credit card.
Please refund me for $26.99
My name is Terri Green
I was formerly living at:
401 Rockefeller Irvine, CA 92612 My phone is 949 433-3681

2 0 Reply

Jan 05 #1089166

I am also on hold now waiting to cancel my membership! I've cancelled my credit card so they can't charge on it again! Still on hold. The chirpy voice said it would be 3 minutes.

1 0 Reply

Jan 04 #1088430

RoadRunner is a bad actor. They pay their team to lie by omission about the true nature of the "VIP" program. Penny wise and dollar foolish because I will not return to RoadRunner again. I guess it doesn't matter to them--- they are too busy counting the many $26.99 they've stolen. Buyer beware!!!! To cancel call 800 901-9207.

3 0 Reply

Dec 28, 2015 #1084912

I just noticed it on my Amex account I on hold to get the charge canceled. They're still doing it and this in December 2015!!

Oct 07, 2015 #1044299

This was Helpful. Same situation with the charge showing up, but instead for me I had a very quick and brief phonecall that reversed the charge. The person on the phone gave me a refund option within the first minute of the conversation.

Oct 01, 2015 #1042019

Same experience - am currently on hold but the chirpy voice tells me I'm next in line and someone will be with me "lickety split" and thanked me for being "super patient". Just wait until they answer!

1-20 of 114 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.